Monday, August 24, 2015

What I have been up to lately? Teaching Fashion! (School 2 Skill Initiative #1child ‪#‎1skill)



I have been off blogging for a while, I took out sometime to kick start this project that has been on my to do list in a new region, I want to let you know a bit about my journey and what I have been up to lately, perhaps My story may inspire you.


 
My name is Chioma Ebubedike-Igbokwe, a young Entrepreneur, a law graduate from the University Of Benin. Daughter of two seasoned Entrepreneurs, C.E.O of West n Couture Group a fashion and lifestyle company and Creative Director Zapel a fast growing clothing and fashion accessory line.  I got my basic training in fashion designing in 1999 at Dobi Fashions in Port Harcourt.  My vision and passion for entrepreneurship started at a very young age of 12. My mum noticed I was highly creative as i used her old butterfly machine to turn her wrappers into blouses. Immediately after secondary school I was sent off to a design institute to perfect my inborn skills of creativity. After my basic training in Fashion Designing, with the strong passion to make my own money and contributions although my parents could afford all that I needed, I started making clothes for close family and friends. In 2007 West n Couture Group was registered with CAC By my elder sister my business partner. After law school I decided to get further training in fashion at the Central Saint Martin’s College of Arts and Design London United Kingdom, with my savings I took courses in designing and fashion accessory while working as a baby sitter to save up against my return to Nigeria. Returning from England with little funds, I was able to get a store space from a family friend who believed in me with a promise to pay soon. In 3 months, with my mums old butterfly(remember that butterfly I told you about earlier?) as my only working tool I paid for the space, In a year I expanded to two stores and in the 3rd year I got a workshop that could train over 50 students….. Presently we are expanding to a garment factory.



My company West n Couture Group is a fashion and lifestyle company that is involved in fashion Education, interior design, ready to wear and bespoke apparel, fashion accessories and fashion retail. Of all my passions the one that I love most is to teach fashion. With a strong passion for entrepreneurship and a desire to share my knowledge and reduce the alarming high rate of unemployment i   laid the foundation for the School to Skill initiative when i trained over 50 youths in fashion designing and other skills via the post Amnesty programme an initiative in which i partnered with the Federal Government and the Oil and Gas Industry to rehabilitate youths involved in militancy activities. In 2013 I partnered with my mum on the School to skill project in rural areas in Port Harcourt where kids come to learn skills during summer holidays.


In 2015 I have partnered with Apex entertainment, Zapel Academy of Art and Design and The Christy Essien Igbokwe Memorial Foundation to formally introduce the School to skill initiative in Schools In the northern regions of Nigeria due to the high rate of unemployment in these regions and to aid in bringing an end to insurgency. I strongly believe that if youths are empowered they will not resort to violence and the best time to start is to catch them early!


These bows were made by  5 to 10 years old pupils 

The School to Skill Initiative is a continuous process. It will facilitate informed dialogue on entrepreneurship, train young people within the ages of 7 to 25 on Entrepreneurship, diverse skills, skills gap issues cutting across sectors and geographies and provide opportunities to share solutions at regional and local levels. The initiative is geared to achieve 'ONE CHILD ONE SKILL by 2025. With our regional heads and coordinators we intend to reach out to every community and LGA that is interested in our vision mostly areas that are disadvantaged.

The initiative is structured as such as it is included in the school’s curriculum as a compulsory subject or course, first as a general class of entrepreneurship and then broken down into diverse units, once we do a survey and know each students interest. At the end of the training the student graduates with a certificate in that particular field/skill. The initiative is geared to achieve 'ONE CHILD ONE SKILL, ONE YOUTH ONE SKILL by 2025.

TO volunteer send an email to zapelng@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment